I am sure by the time I post this blog, Donald Trump will have fallen a few more percentage points in his vainglorious attempt at capturing/buying the 2012 Republican Presidential nomination. But before he’s back to just being the world’s greatest everything-but-President of the United States, I thought I would list a few quotes that show Mr. Trump’s seeming lack of real leadership skills. Just because you’re a great businessman doesn’t make you a great leader. Last time I checked, Abe Lincoln’s chain of resort golf courses were still only in the planning stages, so the two don’t necessarily go hand in hand.
I am sure Mr. Trump would disagree with my assessment (please, let him send me an angry email), but just to be clear I am only having a little innocent fun with an über-powerful man who most likely owns our building and thus holds my livelihood in his strong, masculine, God-like hands. OK enough with the keywords, let’s get to the list!
1. “Everything in life is luck.”
2. “A little more moderation would be good. Of course, my life hasn’t exactly been one of moderation.”
3. “Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser.”
4. “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”
5. “I’m a bit of a P. T. Barnum. I make stars out of everyone.”
6. “Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.”
…and last, but certainly not least:
7. “When I build something for somebody, I always add $50 million or $60 million onto the price. My guys come in; they say it’s going to cost $75 million. I say it’s going to cost $125 million, and I build it for $100 million. Basically, I did a lousy job. But they think I did a great job.”